• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

sober activties (the anti-drug culture thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs_mia_wallace

Bluelighter
This may fail, but here goes (I wasn't sure where to put it, but it seems like here might be the best place)....

It's kind of pathetic, but in looking back at the last eight years of my life I can't remember more than few "fun" nights with friends/boyfriends that didn't involve being some form of inebriation.... even if that was getting drunk or smoking some weed while watching a movie... besides that, it's always boring evenings that no one enjoys.

Seems like this is a common problem among drug users, and just people in general (and not really conductive to sobriety) so thought it might be interesting for people to post ideas of interesting things to do for fun nights (or days!) that don't involve drugs or alcohol :)

Well i always love walking my dogs in the woods etc :D having a good old hike about or even just going to some secluded beach with the mates and just having a laugh.. although most of these activities are enhanced with some chemical goodness ;) but the point is you dont need them to enjoy doing active stuff like this :)

Reading. I honestly can't think of many/any drugs where reading is ENHANCED by taking them. Sure, for some people, maybe taking drugs can make it easier for them to read (adderall), but for the most part taking drugs makes it harder to read, makes you distracted, and makes it difficult to remember what the hell you've just read.

Awesome thread idea. :)

Ditto on the reading part. Being sober has left my evenings quite dull, but I picked up a few Anthony Burgess novels and found I've been really enjoying taking a hot bath and then reading until bedtime (I'm such a nerd).

I second going for a walk with the dogs or with friends.

Cooking.

Doing some kind of craft that you can then give away as a gift.

^I like cooking, definitely don't need to be on drugs and it's fun to do with friends/SOs and definitely takes your full attention :)

I hike and climb. The hours involved will definitely keep you sober. Like today, I was up at 4:30 am, and I'm just wrapping up breakfast before heading out to Mt. Rainier. I'll be out there until about 6pm before the two hour drive home.

The thought of being up that early and then spending the day tramping through deep snow in 20 degree weather and the thin air of 10,000 feet will really make you reconsider staying out late and getting trashed.

Reading. I honestly can't think of many/any drugs where reading is ENHANCED by taking them. Sure, for some people, maybe taking drugs can make it easier for them to read (adderall), but for the most part taking drugs makes it harder to read, makes you distracted, and makes it difficult to remember what the hell you've just read.

This is so true. When I was twacked out I would read 12 different books at the same time and never really got to focus on any of them. Sucked actually. Now I can read a nice book from cover to cover and really devote all my energy into it and that is very satisfying for me. Reading is the best!

Substitute "reading" for many other things you just couldnt really focus on or do well whilst on drugs, and you get the picture :D

I would probably add: Painting, drawing (again, on drugs I would be inspired but I could NEVER finish something...) :p yoga, racquet sports I enjoy (squash, tennis) , etc.

Exercise of any kind.

I've gone to the gym high and it is hard (though it seems easy) and I end up quitting really early on int it because it feels like I've been working out forever.

You also feel really good after doing it because of all the endorphins released.

I looove hoop dance. I tend to get a little sloppy and hit myself in the face when I'm inebriated.

Also, like everybody else, I like walking my dog or hiking.

Any activity that you would do on drugs except for getting/using more drugs.

I love drugs!

Alas, one cannot live on mind-altering substances alone....

I enjoy art a lot. Both creating it and admiring it. Photography.

I like to meditate. This has actually started to bleed into my other activities... I try to make runs or other workouts meditative sessions if I go alone. Running/hiking, rowing, skiing(when possible), and making a sexytime. (verrrry nice)

I enjoy the culinary arts.

I enjoy my friends.

Sometimes I really enjoy nightlife, which can include all of these things as well as drugs. :) But I try and stay indoors more often these days so I'm not all surprised when I check my bank account the next day and I'm five hundred dollars short or whatever... 8o

I'm sure that I've missed something... driving like a maniac? Something I can only do when I'm sober.

My using "partner" and i decided to make a list of life goals, so far we've made our own hammock, seen the northern lights, danced in the rain, and gave free hugs to strangers.

it's still fun, but absurdly so at the same time. plus, it gives us a great sense of pride when we accomplish anything on there.

1. Walking to the pub.
2. Ordering beer.

EDIT:

forgot to put actual answers.

I've had lots of fun just going to bars etc, but being designated driver... it's not the same, but you save money and next time you're out you can get a couple of free drinks for being designated driver last time.

Anything our group does, we seem to add drugs and alcohol into it, maybe the youth of today are fucked...

Last edited:
If I go a few days without enjoying an intoxicant I feel anxious, pessimistic, and generally angry.

Do I lack balance in my life? Of course.

Do I want to return to a completely straight and sober state?

No.

:)

If I go a few days without enjoying an intoxicant I feel anxious, pessimistic, and generally angry.

Do I lack balance in my life? Of course.

Do I want to return to a completely straight and sober state?

No.

:)

That's about as close to myself as possible. Never really been an everyday drinker, user, etc...but if I go more than an alotted time without ANYthing, I feel off, and the need for something. Only thing is I wanted to be completely sober/straight and I don't have the self-dicipline:\

Um... knitting?

Lol, I always say that I'll join a knitting club when i get sober. We'll sit around and talk about our cats.

Seriously though, I think dancing at raves and clubs is great to do sober! Dancing is good exercise, and the music gets you "high" without drugs if you're willing to open your mind to it.

Well I've been sober (pregnant) for about 7 months now...it hasn't always been easy lol (especially on new years eve and my man's birthday-this weekend I'm going to a hippie "love" fest and we all know what that means :\)

I agree with a lot of the above responses, especially cooking and walking the dog. I hang out with my dog all day sober, she is a lot of fun :)

Generally I find that when you are in the company of good friends you really dont need drugs. Just being together, talking, hanging out, etc is a lot of fun.

I also agree with working out, dancing, get your body moving!!

I play a lot of card and board games too :p

man i get so anxious sometimes. The majority of my teenage and adult life has been dominated by drugs, coupled with having no clue what to do with my life sometimes i feel like im just going to explode and punch a hole in a wall or through a chair across the room.

I have to agree working out is the best. I havent worked out in months and have felt the most anxious i ever have in ages. On my days off work one would think they would chill out and be happy, but i strive to think of anything to do to occupy myself. I think physical activity is the key. I need to work out again haha

Status
Not open for further replies.